Saturday, August 12, 2006

Tai Tam Tales of the Unexpected - Part 3

After the trolley, V and the accompanying nurses had disappeared in to the lift to the Intensive Care Unit, there followed what felt like a very long period of silence (it was during the hospital's visiting hours so the waiting room was empty except for a little old lady who was asleep in the corner) during which I was able to reflect at length about what might lay in wait for me next time the Doctors felt compelled to talk to me. I took the opportunity to phone the family to announce V's arrival.

In the event, after 20/30 minutes of waiting a nurse suggested that I go down to the ICU to talk to the Doctor. After eventually finding the correct ward, I was not sure what I expected when I walked in. Certainly there were plenty of monitors, bleeping consoles and cables attached to the cots containing the 4 infant occupants. However, everything seemed remarkably calm. A nurse saw me come and nodded me over to the cot at the far right hand end of the room, and I have to say I was relieved to see that it was not surrounded by medical personnel.

V was in an open cot with a heater over the top. Clingfilm had been spread over the top and bottom of the cot with a gap in the middle. V. was crying lustily mainly it transpired because of a slight nick from the scapel on the ear on her way out. My feelings, however, were of overwhelming relief and of course pleasure of seeing her for the first time, and having disinfected my hands, I tickled her leg in the gap between the clingfilm (not particulaly well received).

I was asked to turn my phone of when I went into the ward, and so when I eventually came out there were various voicemail messages from V's Mother to announce her safe return to the ward which was also a huge relief and, after some pleading with the Ward Sister ("its outside visiting hours"), I eventually got into see her. Although my memories of my time in the waiting room were not particulaly pleasant it did sound as if I got the best end of the deal particulaly as the anaesthetic had not been quite as effective as had been hoped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home