Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sporting extravaganza

After last week's excitement (chaotic scenes in Stanley when the final whistle went on the England/Australia game), another feast of sporting action to look forward tonight with England -v- Estonia in the footie - a mere hors d'ouevre to the a main course at 3am HK time of England -v- France in Paris in the semi-final of the rugby world cup.

That is certainly not a fixture I would have imagined taking place at the beginning of last weekend but after England's nail biting 12 - 10 victory followed by France's frankly astonishing win over the All Blacks in Cardiff (which my Sister actually went to see - v. v. jealous), we now have Les Bleus against Les Rosbifs and 40,000 Englishmen are apparently descending on Paris to watch. I think I would have been among them if I had been 6,000 miles closer - I have some very fond (albeit hazy) memories of 6 Nations clashes in Parc de Prince (when it was still the 5 Nations) and then Stade de France. I went to the first England game at the new stadium and the citizens of St Denis did not know what had hit them (I think they ran out of beer the first year it was played there - not a mistake they repeated).

Come on England.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home